 Administrative / General / 3259
Re: "compartmentalized dorks"??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 05:05:25 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message <382dfeff.238016940@lugnet.com>...
In lugnet.admin.general, John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> writes:
[...] Todd, it concerns me that this would concern you, [...]

Well, I don't entirely disagree with Mark's opinions.  I disagree with the
words he used to express them, but not completely with their underlying
"core."

I do agree that it is, IMHO, somewhat unfortunate that theme-specific
auctions are separated from theme discussions.  But it's the choice between
the lesser of two evils.

How about in a test theme or two allow auction announcements ONLY.
Follow-ups must and updates would still have to go to lugnet.market.auction.
Make it clear that it is an experiment. If the experiment fails, you are
vindicated for trying to keep the theme groups clean. If it succeeds,
hooray.

The other option is my earlier suggestion of market summary posts by a
person appointed by you for each theme.

Ultimately, I think the whole problem will be wiped away later by
implementing an integrated auction system with user-configurable views.
At this point, what concerns me most, then, is negative karma or waves • which
might serve to separate us further from RTL, which I don't think is so
good.

Unfortunately the problem really seems to be not that buyers don't find the
things they want, but that the sellers don't feel enough buyers see their
posts. Perhaps a few people might buy if the posts showed up in the theme
groups. I see several reasons why a person might not read the market groups:

   1. don't want to buy
   2. don't like wading through numerous market posts for items they aren't
interested in
   3. uninformed

#2 is really the only reason I see as a reason to allow focused marketing in
the theme groups.

Frank