 Administrative / General / 3236
Re: "compartmentalized dorks"??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 19:20:47 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
In a recent (and active) thread entitled "This is irritating" in RTL, it's
been suggested that "Lugnet was designed for compartmentalised dorks" and
that "[it's] for the dorks who can't make up [their] own mind whether to
read a posting or not" and that I am "constantly telling people where they
can and can't post a message on the threat of being expelled"...

Some may prefer the anarchy of RTL over the sensibility of LUGNET.  I call
them "cluttered dorks".  Personally, I enjoy the structure that comes with
LUGNET.  I'm more than willing to pay the small price of organization to be a
part of this society.  The benefits -- selective audiences, faster information
retrieval, personal networking -- are more than worth it.

Looking back upon my experiece with usenet, I'll never go back unless I have
to.  The people who are complaining are probably recent inductees into
cyberspace, excited by the freedom that RTL gives them, not realizing the cost
of increased noise which comes with that freedom.

Cheers,
- jsproat