 Administrative / General / 2879
Re: New Items on The Vault - 9/9/99
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:07:12 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

On Sun, 12 Sep 1999 17:59:06 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

Thank you. Too much staying up late playing Roller Coaster Tycoon (gawd
that game is addicting)...

Hunh?  Wow, maybe now I know why I'm not a traniac like you.  I
thought it was the most mind-numbingly boring game I'd ever played.

OK, followups set to off-topic.fun on this.

Well, I guess I like economic simulations and I like physics
simulations. I also was a big fan of the original Railroad Tycoon (Sid
Meyer) and Chris Parker's earlier (at least I think it was him)
Transport Tycoon

I LOVE trying to build really neat coasters that have a high excitement
and high thrill factor without getting the nausea to be off the scale. I
have built some pretty good ones, I think. but more importantly I love
trying to get the park economics just right..

Now, the early scenarios are easy, probably... but on the third scenario
I have gotten the park jam packed with coasters, rides, stalls and paths
to the point where I can't fit anything more in, and I got the debt down
to 0 with high approval ratings within 6 game years.

This game is way better than Sim City! Sim City is all about zoning as a
way to determine what happens, and assumes that there is a "best" tax
rate. This game is all about supply and demand. With the very limited
exception of ad campaigns, you sink or swim based ONLY on how well you
plan your park to maximise guest enjoyment (and buying opportunities)
using the scarce resources you have available.

Plus, like i said, I like building the coasters. There is nothing more
satisfying than doing some complex underground queue feeding a mine
train that has an underground loading station and some twisty turns
before you get to the lift hill. The code behind the physics of coaster
operation is very well done. The agony of having your second hill too
high so that you get a roll back on the test run and you have to
reengineer!...

But then, I like RIDING real ones.

lugnet.