 Administrative / General / 2849
Re: New Items on The Vault - 9/9/99
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 18:03:25 GMT

I see the reasoning behind third party announcements in shopping and
advertisements in buy-sell-trade, but I see a better reasoning which
follows the charter. The line of reasoning is the availability of the
deals. The deals advertised (either by the seller, or some one else) in
shopping are available to a large number of people, the sales advertised
in buy-sell-trade are very limited quantity, and those in auction are so
limited that the seller wants to let the market determine the price. By
this reasoning, sealed bid auctions are on the borderline between
buy-sell-trade and auction, and thus it fits that Todd is allowing them
in buy-sell-trade.

This reasoning nicely allows someone to decide how much time they are
willing to commit to finding deals. If you want to just see the deals
that you can easily get, watch shopping only. Willing to shop around,
but don't have the time to keep up with auctions, add buy-sell-trade.
Live for LEGO, add auction.

One thing I'd like to see handled a bit better is to have more of the
discussion follow up to theory, that way the people really just looking
for a good deal, who don't care about how the market works, can ignore
the discussion (some discussion is appropriate for the advertisement
group because it is clarifying the deal).

--
Frank Filz

Work: mailto:ffilz@us.ibm.com
Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com