 Administrative / General / 2854
Re: New Items on The Vault - 9/9/99
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 20:59:27 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "James Brown" <galliard@shades-of-night.com>
writes:
Hmm.  Ok, I can see this, excepting that some of the offerings in .shopping
lately have been limited in quantity, and some of the offerings in .buy-sell-
trade are very broad in scope.  Where does the line get drawn?

Simple:

*  Competition among buyers where bids/offers are used to solicit
   progressively higher bids/offers:
   --> .market.auction

*  Direct sale or trade of items between individuals, where some negotiation
   between buyer & seller or subjective judgment by seller may occur:
   --> .market.buy-sell-trade

*  Direct sale of items on first-come-first-serve basis, e.g. a store or an
   fully-objective (non-subjective) automated sale:
   --> .market.shopping

IOW:
   .shopping is for no-brainers -- if it's still left, you can buy it
   .buy-sell-trade is for low-negotiation -- if it's still left, you can
      probably buy it.
   .auction is for high-negotiation -- compete with other people.

What about
(for example) DYA?  He's got multiple copies of a single set, but posts to
.buy-sell-trade.  Should he be told that .shopping is a more appropriate venue?
How about BAYLIT?

And what of the (hypothetical) situation where a major retailer sees an
opportunity to catch a specialized group - if eToys or TRU starts posting
messages, where would they go?

.market.shopping

--Todd