 Administrative / General / 2862
Re: New Items on The Vault - 9/9/99
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 23:31:53 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Naji Norder writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message

What about
(for example) DYA?  He's got multiple copies of a single set, but posts • to
.buy-sell-trade.  Should he be told that .shopping is a more appropriate • venue?
How about BAYLIT?

And what of the (hypothetical) situation where a major retailer sees an
opportunity to catch a specialized group - if eToys or TRU starts • posting
messages, where would they go?

.market.shopping

Maybe it's just that some of the newer people missed some of the discussion
leading up to the various groups, but it's always seemed obvious to me that
.shopping would be for stores to post their own info (in addition to the
fairly common "TRU has a sale in my town" posts we're seeing) while
.buy-sell-trade would be for more personal, one-on-one things.

But why put put both in the same newsgroup?  Having a newsgroup hierarchy
allows these two types of messages to be separated from each other.  Someone
using mindstorms might not care about Duplo, so those two are separated.
Someone who cares about "TRU sales in my town" might not care about stores
posting their own overpriced merchandise ads, so those should be separated.

You're the one who told me I should subscribe to .shopping so I wouldn't keep
missing sales. :-)

I've already posted more of this argument :
http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=2859

Thanks,
Naji

Before this discussion goes off in the wrong direction, I want to clarify a
little.  I understand that the newsgroup hierarchy can't and shouldn't be
chopped into millions of newsgroups, each with 3 messages in it.  However, even
Mike shows a distinction between the two type of messages in .shopping (his
words "in addition to").  If a clear distiction can be made, and people wish to
see one and not the other, then why not split them into two newsgroups?

Thanks,
Naji