 Administrative / General / 2866
Re: New Items on The Vault - 9/9/99
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 01:05:02 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "James Brown" <galliard@shades-of-night.com>
writes:
And what of the (hypothetical) situation where a major retailer sees an
opportunity to catch a specialized group - if eToys or TRU starts posting
messages, where would they go?

.market.shopping

Just my 2 bits-

I've just reread the charter for lugnet.market.shopping, and I think the
charter is broken (ok, maybe the charter can't be broken by definition, but
it's still broken).  Here's a quote from <http://www.lugnet.com/announce/?
n=145>, where the creation of lugnet.market.shopping was announced:

A special new newsgroup lugnet.market.shopping has just been created for
sharing LEGO shopping information -- sales, experiences, tips, etc.  It is
intended mainly for information dispersal, but discussions of retail chains
and their practices are fine too.  In-depth product discussions arising from
informational postings should typically be moved to more appropriate places.

(I don't remember any discussion or announcements about .shopping changing
focus)

I don't see where seller-authored announcements fit with this description.  I
don't *feel* like they fit in that newsgroup.

Also, .market.buy-sell-trade is described as a "community trading post".
There is a big difference between Joe Schmoe posting his list of parts he
wants to trade, and a regular posting from a business with a formalized
presence on the web.  (Which is not to obliquely pick on The Vault.  I was
thinking more of picking on a commercial operation, such as TRU.  Not that I'm
worried about TRU spamming Lugnet.)

So maybe there should be a new group.  I dunno.  If we start getting a lot of
posts from DYA's and Vaults, then I think a new group is probably in order.
The posts are valuable, and I think it is a good thing for Lugnet to support
these sellers by allowing these commercial posts.  But I don't want them mixed
in with BST or .shopping traffic.

Steve