 Administrative / General / 2867
Re: New Items on The Vault - 9/9/99
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 02:07:31 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:
On Fri, 10 Sep 1999 23:11:41 GMT, "Naji Norder"
<n.norder@computer.org> wrote:

But why put put both in the same newsgroup?  Having a newsgroup hierarchy
allows these two types of messages to be separated from each other.  Someone
using mindstorms might not care about Duplo, so those two are separated.
Someone who cares about "TRU sales in my town" might not care about stores
posting their own overpriced merchandise ads, so those should be separated.

I don't know that I totally disagree with you (I'm certainly not
taking "another side" against which you would need to defend yourself)
but at this point in time I don't see what the big deal is.

Well, the occasional porno post to rtl isn't a big deal either.  I don't have
to see them in pine, and I just delete them and they go away.  That doesn't
mean that don't bother me.

It seems like one or two people who maybe weren't involved in the
original discussions about what would be going on in the market groups
got their panties in a wad over some posts they didn't want to see in
a particular group, suggested/told/encouraged/asked whatever the
person involved to move them, and then at some point asked Todd to
back them up.

I'm terribly sorry that I didn't follow rtl when Lugnet was being set up.
However, if Lugnet does not and will not adapt to the "newer" people who use
it, then, like anything else inflexible, it will die.  You and Todd and the
original members can decide now that it's not a problem.  Later, when more
people advertise, it might still be tolerable.  Eventually, the people who's
opinions are ignored might want to set up a listserve to provide "deals"
without the ads.  I think something like this would be silly, but it is
logically forseeable.

End of issue, imo.

Then I won't reply to the rest of your discussion.

Todd will probably whip out his magic URLs with the original threads,
but I think it was pretty clear that in the original discussions it
was known/thought/assumed that _stores_ or store-like entities would
post to .shopping.  I could post that TRU is running a sale, or
someone who runs a construction toy store could post that they are
running a sale - no real difference.

Eventually, it will be a Good Thing if commercial entities feel free
to post things to appropriate groups here, don't you think?

You're the one who told me I should subscribe to .shopping so I wouldn't keep
missing sales. :-)

Really?  Well, it must have made sense at the time.  What's the
difference between you seeing Joe Bloe post that Wal-Mart appears to
be running a big sale or Joe Storeowner posting that his website is
open for business with a nice sale?
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/