 Administrative / General / 1588
Re: Charters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 22:59:27 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, radiotitan@spamcake.yahoo.com (Tom McDonald)
writes:
[...]
One very small criticism of that style of page would be that I would rather
see a longer list of posts, which might be handy for busier groups. I've grown
accustomed to seeing at least 19 posts on each group's list.

Well, the longer listing won't be going away with this new layout -- this is
just the 'homepage' for the group and it gives a short intro, and you'll
still be able to get to the full (compact) listings from there.

Notice at the bottom also that it says it's a prototype interface which may
change at any moment.  Things in the works before it can be considered
complete enough to start linking to it from the homepage:

1.  Display not only the subject line but a snippet of the beginning of the
    article.  I've been using/testing this approach in a second prototype
    form for a couple weeks and I really like it lot (as a user of the
    system).

2.  In the ng-article samplings, display not only what's in the group being
    looked at but also messages from all groups beneath it in the hierarchy
    -- as an integrated article list (like a big virtual newsgroup).  This
    will be especially useful for loc groups and for the main root homepage.

3.  Revisit usage of icons (some changes are needed).

And beyond that, there'll be more (better) FAQ and link integration.  Whew,
then it'll be time to move into member/people mode for the site, once the
new long-term group infrastructure is up.

Could we also have a link to the traffic page on this new style of page?
Just a thought. [...]

OK, maybe at the bottom of the page, or somewhere else near links to
localized site mapping and FAQing?

--Todd