 Administrative / General / 1591
Re: The name/purpose of the QOTD group
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 22:52:31 GMT

I was serious about this. Make it moderated. I'm disappointed that not
one person even said "what a lame idea"... :-)

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Todd Lehman wrote:

Thoughts?  Is this group, by its very name, no matter how carefully worded
in the charter, doomed and destined to being destroyed and recreated under a
different name, or not at all?  Once something like this gets going (if it
does), these sorts of community QOTD resources can be quite a lot of fun.

Make this one moderated. You need to explore the mechanics of a
moderated group anyway. Do it here where it's relatively less likely to
be controversial. Get someone to moderate it for you.

Seems to me that unless someone else thinks that it is on topic and
funny, it isn't. An unmoderated group will quickly become a slushpile
and a failure. To a lesser extent, that is already happening in .puns,
but that's the charter there, so it's OK, I guess.

A number of these off-topic groups are, in my opinion, likely to dilute
focus of LUGNET(TM) on things LEGO(R) if you let them. This one,
especially so.

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.