 Administrative / General / 1581
Re: The name/purpose of the QOTD group
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 19:59:12 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley) writes:
Well, I keep thinking of all the QOTD utilities that I've run under
DOS, Windows, Linux, etc that basically generate quotes of the type
people seem to want to post to this group.

Kind of like the 'fortune' program then?

Many of them even used qotd as the executable name, so I think you're
going to have to deal with people doing that.

Aha.  OK.  Uh oh.  :-}

For my part, having not paid much attention to the discussion about
this group before now, I'll probably unsubscribe.  I really have no
interest in reading things that were either posted in groups I already
read or in groups that I don't read.

I would, however, read random quote posts.  I'm just that kind of guy.

I probably would too (if they were semi-original), but there are already
*so* many places out on the net that collect and disseminate quotes.

For example, LEGO-fan Matt Miller's _Quotes_'R'_Us_ site (www.quotes-r-
us.org) is a really great place.  And he even has an excellent page talking
about the types of tired old quotes that they don't want submitted:

   http://www.quotes-r-us.org/hall-of-stupid.html

Not that there's anything wrong with quotes like this; they're just already
plenty abundant.

--Todd