 Administrative / General / 1602
Re: The name/purpose of the QOTD group
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 23:05:11 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

Hey Lar,
You -do- know what's involved in moderating, right?  You get mailed an NNTP
article via SMTP, which you then import into an editor, munge the headers,
add an 'Approved-By' header, and then repost via NNTP.  There are tools to
help with this, but I can't guarantee that they work on an MS OS.

Yes. Long term you will probably provide an interface for members to do
this easily. Till then, no problem. I'll have my lar@voyager.net account
receive these. Munging the headers should not be a problem from there.
It would be hard to do from Outlook so I would not bother to try.

<snipped automoderation setup descriptions>

I stick to my original assertion. A moderated group is the "best" way to
do this. We actually need someone who uses a judgement call as to
whether it's a QOTD, not just whether it mechanically meets the
requirements of being a followup of a post from another group, not a new
post, and not a reply to a post to it.

And, let's face it. There's no one who's a better judge of this kind of
humor than me. :-) Just ask me, I'll tell you.

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.