 Administrative / General / 1578
Re: The name/purpose of the QOTD group
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 17:19:47 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, galliard@shades-of-night.com (James Brown) writes:
[...]
Thoughts?  Is this group, by its very name, no matter how carefully worded
in the charter, doomed and destined to being destroyed and recreated under
a different name, or not at all?  Once something like this gets going (if
it does), these sorts of community QOTD resources can be quite a lot of
fun.

Sorry to have infected it. Better kill it before it multiplies.

I think it is a naming thing.  When I first see "QOTD" it interprets as
"somewhere to put cool quotes I heard" without any accompanying "on LUGnet • or
RTL" being intuited by my brain. • <snip>
It's interesting to wonder what sorts of things might naturally fall into a
group called (as you suggested above)

  lugnet.off-topic.whiteboard

Quotes and fun and silly things certainly could go there as a subset of what
it covered.  And it would probably have a much more whimsical nature than
.off-topic.fun (which wasn't really created for silliness/whimsy but rather
for having serious or semi-serious discussions about fun things like
breakfast cereals, pets, music albums, etc.).

duh. I guess I should have posted my messages about "Duel of the Fates" from
the Star Wars soundtrack to .off-topic.fun instead. Todd, I guess you're owed
another apology. Sorry.

Anyone:  What would the name .off-topic.whiteboard mean to you?

I think .whiteboard is better.

Idea (possibly stupid): can a link be hardcoded into the display.cgi page so
that I can read a group's charter more readily? Might be helpful for newbies
too.

-Tom McD.
when replying, ixnay the amcake.spay