 Administrative / General / 1587
Re: Terms and Conditions Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 20:49:21 GMT

<cross-posted to .off-topic.debate, follow-up set there, too>

In lugnet.admin.general, Simon Denscombe writes:
Mike Stanley wrote:
Mmmmmmm.... dunno that I "fell" for anything.  I'm pretty sure I
understood what the poster meant.

Well that was the usual mis-meaning for the word homophobic you see.

I'm not sure I was going for sarcasm, exactly.  More like light humor
for me.  I've never fully understood or accepted the popular meaning
of the term versus what I see as the literal meaning.

Well I go by dictionary definition always the safest bet - I think mine
was para-phrased  a lot but I couldn't think of any other way of putting
it.

The dictionary isn't alway the safest bet - given that dictionaries will often
include slang words and phrases.

For my part, when I see "homo" I first think "man", not homosexual,
but that's the Latinist in me.  I can't remember a time when I've
actually said the word homo and meant anything other than the Latin
word for man (homo, hominis).  I've heard the word used as a slur
against homosexuals before, but it always sounded wrong, as most slurs
do, but also metrically.

Well when I think of the word homo - first I think homosexual then I
think 'single' - homogeneous (single phase - Chemistry-based).  I think
my order of thinking will change as I get older.

Homophobic never quite worked for me to describe people who fit the
definition you give.  Bigoted seems much more accurate and,
deservedly, derogatory.

Homophobic is a slang term, which derives from another slang term 'homo'
(homosexual), and has no basis as a scientific term.  It's unfortuate, and I
do my best to never use it, and attempt to gently correct friends when they
use it, because, as is often the case, a scientific-sounding term is being
used to provide an opinion with a sense of legitimacy.

What I always found particularly ironic is that, going by the way the various
"phobias" are structured (from the greek), homophobia means 'fear of same'
Think about that, next time someone describes themself as homophobic. ;-)

Bigot - Obstinate and intolerant adherent of a creed or view.
Homophobic - isn't in my dictionary! :-)
Checking on the web: homophobia n : prejudice against (hate or dislike
of) homosexual people and homosexuality.

The problem with bigoted is that trying to stop any point of view now
matter how wild or evil will get you called bigoted - you can't win.

Bigot has become a hot-buton word, that gets thrown at people to escalate
debates away from real issues.  I try to never use it unless I really mean
it.  I also try and honestly reconsider whenever someone calls me bigoted.
(hasn't happened in a long time)

Wonder if this is fading into .off-topic.debate?

Wouldn't have thought so, I could easily make it so but I don't want to
get a bad name around here.

It is.  (the conversation moving to debate, not your name getting bad)

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/