 Administrative / General / 1586
Re: Terms and Conditions Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 20:33:34 GMT

<cross-posted to off-topic.debate>

In lugnet.admin.general, Simon Denscombe writes:
James Brown wrote:
no, but it could be considered defamatory.  Also, another portion of that
clause covers it quite nicely:

Well doesn't any flame-war have defamatory posts?  Especially in
off-topic-debate

Yup, they do.

"...including without limitation any transmissions constituting or • encouraging
conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil
liability, or otherwise violate any local, state, national, or international
law."
The phrase above could quite happily give rise to civil liability, and odds
are it violates some law, somewhere.  (probably in California)(1)

OK, but some countries don't have the right to free speech so we can't
post at all.  I don't think that laws can affect someone's personal
point of view and their right to say it - that's going against civil
liberties isn't it?

Laws don't affect our right to say things.  Laws enforce the consequences of
our having said them.

Essentially, I think that Todd & Suzanne have been ambiguous enough to cover
all their bases, from a legal point of view.  Besides, when push comes to
shove, this is a private organization, and if racism/sexism/otherism
becomes a problem, they can change the rules to account for it.

Well it's not sexism - after all "ill people want to get well they just
don't know it" - now how is 'defamatory'

By using the term 'ill', you are implying that there is something wrong with
homosexuality, and by extension, homosexuals.  If you are not willing or able
to back up your statement with medical proof, then you are stating an negative
opinion about another person, without evidence to support your conjecture.(1)
Doesn't get much more defamatory than that.

And "ill people...know it" is so nonsensical I won't even bother to pick it
apart.

But I will re-iterate my point.  I don't think it matters.  The terms &
conditions are set up broadly enough as they stand.  If it is really that big
a deal, print them off, spend way too much money, and have a lawyer evaluate
them for you.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/