 Administrative / General / 12235
Re: who does chris think he is?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 02:11:31 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Chris Magno wrote:
Calum Tsang wrote:

When I get to that bridge, my intention is to teach my kids something about
"right time, right place."

Using the magic seven in .general might not be the right place, but to make a
stronger emotional point in .debate, SURE.  Go for it.

Calum I am sure you knew this would be coming as soon as you listed names of
people that make a point without profanity..... but here it is anyway.

Some would say

Yes, *SOME* would say that.....

that you don't need those seven to make any point that's worth
making.  I mean, when Madeline Albright or Paul Martin stood before the United
Nations, I didn't see them using those magic seven, did they?  I don't see
lawyers using profanity in the courtroom to make a point.  I don't even see Dan
Rather or Peter Mansbridge using profanity to tell us the news.  When I read a
blue collar paper like the Toronto Sun, even they don't swear in their op-ed
pieces.

BUT *I* would say....

I can see your point, and I counter it with an incomplete but impressive list of
names myself that made powerful, important and respected points with the
occasional (or in some cases not so occasional) use of profanity.

Wyndham Lewis
Alexander Pope
George Orwell
John Lennon
John Steinbeck
Joy Baluch
R A Dickson
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Roland Barthes
Samuel Beckett
Judith Rossner
Ernest Hemingway
Lyndon B. Johnson
Elizabeth Janeway
Abraham Lincoln
Edward. E. Cummings

Just to mention a few.

So tell me why this is a requirement for you to?

I wanted to say that your point regarding Lugnet being "for children" is wrong.

The ~TOY~ we talk about is for children. (and some adults)

BUT most of these forums are for adults.

Do you get these letters?

And what if the answer is yes?  Cue argument that your morals are different than
others, so you shouldn't have them imposed on you.

What I want to express is that the entire WORLD is a big bad scary place.

Yes, it certainly is.  But why use that as an argument in a place that doesn't
REQUIRE profanity to have profanity?

Try this on for size: "Graffiti is commonplace in big cities."  Is the resulting
action "Let's spray graffiti everywhere, it's a given."?

I actually think that's a brilliant idea. Of course I think graffiti is some of
the best modern art there is.  Some of it is better then things I have paid to
see in a gallery.  It's all about perspective.

Snipped play/script

The truth is, even if you had a TOS protected right to swear on Lugnet, you
probably wouldn't anyways.

Calum

Calum,

You make some excellent points.

I can even see that wishy-washy-easily-swayed Dave K says that you are
right.

BUT, Calum, you made my point in your very last sentence.  At no point
have I ever(STRESS EVER)  advocated that I want to swear at ever second
word.

ALL I ASK is that if I feel I can best express a    F E E L I N G   by
using something as harmless as B$#&*^IT, then I dont ever want to have
to fear the wrath of seven people I have never met.

In the words of George Washington "The foolish and wicked practice of profane
cursing and swearing is a vice so mean and low that every person of sense and
character detests and despises it."

So yes, is there more effective, intelligent and eloquent ways of saying
something most times, without a doubt, but just because we (read: some people)
detest or despise something does not mean it should be discounted.

Chris

I'll leave it to people with more time than me to show you COUNTLESS
examples of unparliamentary llanguage as used in public.

Ummmmm I guess that was me. Wow, free time is evil.  I would even chance, to say
more evil then the word I want to type here, but didn't.

Janey "If I agree with Chris does that mean the world is ending? Red Brick"