 Administrative / General / 12225
Re: who does chris think he is?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:42:13 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Lyttle wrote:
(snip)

Chris, do you have kids?  If so, do you let them swear and curse anywhere they
choose?

HI Scott.

I have to say; i have met MORE people here recently than I have in a very long
time.

YES. I have Kids.

www.themagnofamily.com

When I get to that bridge, my intention is to teach my kids something about
"right time, right place."

Using the magic seven in .general might not be the right place, but to make a
stronger emotional point in .debate, SURE.  Go for it.

I think you realize that the censorship really has more to do with being decent
than anything else.  As Lugnet tries to be a place that is friendly to all,
especially to children,

Scott, You probably don't have ANY idea how much restraint I am putting into
this post.  MY gut reaction is to be snarky and put you down; I know though that
will colour your your opinions of me, and will probably not "win you over"

I wanted to say that your point regarding Lugnet being "for children" is wrong.

The ~TOY~ we talk about is for children. (and some adults)

BUT most of these forums are for adults.

.general - children and all
.debate - by the content I would have to say adults
.italy - children IF they speak Italian. (1)

Using THIS as a framework it is NOT hard for a reasonable person to see that
uttering milder forms of the "evil seven," can quite easily go UNSEEN by those
young youth.

I tend to agree on the censorship issue due to decency.
You may think it's bull, but think of how many children come to this board, read
things, then decide to start quoting comments to parents--especially the stuff
with the "seven bad words".

see my last point.

When those parents find out that they got the quote
from Lugnet... well, then the e-mails from disgusted parents fly.

(To the Admins)

Do you get these letters?

I do know
that many of the Lego stores will give the Lugnet site address to children (and
adults) who adore Lego.

Thats great.  I know the nice guys who run RTLToronto and have Public events at
children's librarys every 4 months ALSO give out LUGNET.com as a link to the
kids AND parents.

What I want to express is that the entire WORLD is a big bad scary place. If
Lego Retail truly wants a "safe" place to point kids to, send them to
www.lego.com, or www.disney.com.

Those places are for PROFIT and stake a reputation at being safe cause thats
where the money is.

www.LUGNET.com is, as I understand it, a "private" place that just happens to
talk about a children's toy.

I'm not an admin here, and I don't have kids, but I work in an environment where
there are a lot of children, and I have to be a little careful with what I say
around them.

This is a valid point.  But Scott, you are PAID to maintain a "proper" level of
appearance around those you work.

Just remember your audience here isn't just adults.

Scott Lyttle

Scott, please also remember that there are MANY forum here that are attended by
JUST adults.  I can think of a few recently added forums, that parents would NOT
want there children to read.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Chris

1. To admins:  Who watches for the foul seven in forgin languages?