 Administrative / General / 12242
12241  |  12243
Subject:
Effeet insults 101 was (Re: who does chris think he is?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 04:23:29 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Chris Magno wrote:

ALL I ASK is that if I feel I can best express a    F E E L I N G   by
using something as harmless as B$#&*^IT, then I dont ever want to have
to fear the wrath of seven people I have never met.

Um, if  you need to resort to profanity, then I submit that you have already
lost the argument. Profanity itself is the use of socially agreed upon words
which have no real meaning in any given situation, but rather express distaste
in a non-descriptive fashion. Might I suggest using more carefully thought
phrases, possibly ones which would invoke thought in the mind of the one you are
writing to (or at least to expand their vocabulary in order to understand how
they have been insulted). i.e. I disagree with that opinion and feel that it is
as accurate as a three legged ant trying to walk in a straight line.

If it doesn't invoke thought, it at least will give some passerby a good
chuckle.. the world needs more of those.

And if you simply must resort to the societal, ignorant exclamations.. at least
improve your opponents vocabulary: For example:
I do believe sir that your statement is of the purest form of male bovine fecal
matter. (or my preference "ejecta")

However, I personally will only snicker at the standards. I personally, if I
actually feel the need to be insulting, prefer to be creative and then find the
scientific terms. In this way I attempt to allow even my bad attitude to further
the minds of that miniscule part of society with which I interract.

A few of my favorites: (sorry.. you get to do your own translations, and no
these are not directed at anyone)

I do not give an aerial fornication in the generalized direction of a rotating
toroidal breakfast pastry.

I feel you are equivalent to a synthesized globule of ceboidian semen suspended
from a capran's dextral nostril.

Ok.. I go crawl back in my little hole and stop poking people now....

Then do it on a server that you own, or one that allows profanity in
discussions. The only reason you would have to fear those 'seven people you
haven't met' would be because those people are entrusted with the keeping of
this sandbox, which you don't own nor do you set the rules in.

I know that the admins set the rules and I know LUGNET is "non-free" in terms of
the types expression allowed but I think the above opinion is very arrogant
(that's not to say that you, Tim, are arrogant since I know you are not).  The
above implies that profanity is always wrong, no matter what the circumstances.
I think this is a very dim view to take since it's not clear on what exactly
constitutes profanity and that the context of the message is what sets the
meaning and not the words themselves.

I didn't mean to imply that profanity is always wrong. I tend to agree with
Larry's view on profanity use [1] and also agree (strongly) with Kelly's view of
"free speech" on LUGNET [2].

I do too..

My comment wasn't meant to address what was profanity and what wasn't, merely
the attitude that Chris was expressing. I read him as saying 'I want to be able
to say a word I don't define as bad but the admins do, and not fear the admins,'
which is the wrong attitude to take here, IMO. This is Todd's sandbox, which he
has allowed us to come in and use. Further, he has selected individuals to help
him maintain order in the sandbox as he can't/doesn't want to go at that task
alone. Those rules and those people need to be respected.

In some places it is profane to sneeze.

<snippage>

[1] http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=12236
[2] http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=12107