 Administrative / General / 12122
Re: who does chris think he is?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 02:11:41 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
<snip>
One does not have to be college educated to be able to figure out if one has
violated the ToS.  I couldn't recite a single item from the ToS, because it
has been so long since I read it.  But I know the difference between crossing
the line over what is and what is not acceptable.  It is simple common sense.

As I said in my other post, words in and of themselves are *not* bad.
It's all about the contex in which they are placed.   This is not to say
that some the reprimands issued recently were not justified but I submit
that *any* word can be used in a hurtful, spite filled manner.  This is
what the admin should be looking for and not, for example, a post that
quotes a suposed "bad" word as an example.

-Orion

I agree with your reasoning, words aren't bad. It's all contextual. You can bet
we're talking with people whose posts are inappropriate, trigger words or not.
It's just that the ones with the f-bomb and such are only the most obvious. The
mudslinging, namecalling, and general nastiness of recent conversations have
resulted in a few email warnings, and not just because of out-and-out cussing.

Again, there's not yet agreement within the administrative team about the
"appropriate" level of language usage. Until we come to an agreement on that, I
see this confusion continuing.

- Kelly