 Administrative / General / 12244
Re: who does chris think he is?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 04:39:12 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, C. L. GunningCook wrote:
Calum I am sure you knew this would be coming as soon as you listed names of
people that make a point without profanity..... but here it is anyway.

No, but I would expect you'd do something like this, so...carry on! :)

I can see your point, and I counter it with an incomplete but impressive list of
names myself that made powerful, important and respected points with the
occasional (or in some cases not so occasional) use of profanity.

Wyndham Lewis
Alexander Pope
George Orwell
John Lennon
John Steinbeck
Joy Baluch
R A Dickson
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Roland Barthes
Samuel Beckett
Judith Rossner
Ernest Hemingway
Lyndon B. Johnson
Elizabeth Janeway
Abraham Lincoln
Edward. E. Cummings

For THAT matter, I could also say Emimem or NWA made some excellent points using
a LOT of profanity.  What I'm trying to get across is, for the subject matter,
that being Lego, you really don't need to swear.

So yes, is there more effective, intelligent and eloquent ways of saying
something most times, without a doubt, but just because we (read: some people)
detest or despise something does not mean it should be discounted.

It's not that someone dislikes it (I really don't care about the "save the
children" folk here) but it's simply not needed.  Chris is arguing for the sake
of raising a stink.  That's fine, but it's fruitless given this political
climate in Lugnet.

Calum