 Administrative / General / 12226
Re: who does chris think he is?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:47:01 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Lyttle wrote:

Hello Scott,

With all due respect, I do understand your point, but every story has at least
two sides to it.

Chris, do you have kids?

I am NOT Chris, but I do have kids.

If so, do you let them swear and curse anywhere they
choose?

I let them swear in my house, anytime they feel the need or are so inclined.  We
have a level of respect that goes beyond "those" words.  Do I swear around them?
Yes all the time, in fact, lately when I read Lugnet, they hear me curse up a
storm left, right and centre.  Like me, they swear when they are angry, fed up
or frustrated.  It's healthy to release emotions, unless you want to have them
eat away at you until your stomach starts bleeding.  Is it the most effective or
intelligent way to deal? More than likely, not, but it is *one* way of dealing.
We discuss the pros and cons of just how effective language can be.

My children do not swear *at* me, nor do I swear *at* them, because we respect
each other.  I do not swear on Lugnet, only because I am aware it is against the
ToS, just as my kids understand what will happen to them if they decide to use
profanity towards other individuals, for example their principal at school.

I think you realize that the censorship really has more to do with being decent
than anything else.  As Lugnet tries to be a place that is friendly to all,
especially to children, I tend to agree on the censorship issue due to decency.

A responsible parent/guardian is aware of what their children are being exposed
to.

You may think it's bull, but think of how many children come to this board, read
things, then decide to start quoting comments to parents--especially the stuff
with the "seven bad words".  When those parents find out that they got the quote
from Lugnet... well, then the e-mails from disgusted parents fly.  I do know
that many of the Lego stores will give the Lugnet site address to children (and
adults) who adore Lego.

I'm not an admin here, and I don't have kids, but I work in an environment where
there are a lot of children, and I have to be a little careful with what I say
around them.

I also work around children, and they are limits to what I will say to children
in front of me.  I consider that just a level of professionalism. Working in a
school also allows me the distinct pleasure of monitoring the play yard, and
even in elementary school there are words, insults and smack I hear out there
that is way worse then anything played out on Lugnet. Does that make it okay? No
probably not, but the school yard is a place where parents more often or not can
not police what their child must hear or endure through out the day.  Lugnet on
the other hand is a place that they can police, if they feel the need.

Just remember your audience here isn't just adults.

Personally I have not read any post on Lugnet that I would not want my children
to read (that includes ones with the famous 7).  Why? Because it is usually
those post that contain the most passion and that's a part of life I want my
children to embrace.  In fact there is one well known F bomb post on Lugnet that
I read to my kids which opened a wonderful discussion about how effective or not
that post was.

Lots of kids swear, it's a fact. They may not do it in front of you, but they
do.  I have just taken a different approach to parenting, I feel if they are
comfortable with their language around me, they will also to be more open to
discuss other things that really mean a whole lot more then an F-Bomb on some
forum.

My point is, with respect, while you may find it unsuitable for children, I feel
it is not.

Janey "Profanity Deleted, Red Brick"