 Administrative / General / 12236
Re: who does chris think he is?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2005 02:41:26 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, C. L. GunningCook wrote:

Janey "If I agree with Chris does that mean the world is ending? Red Brick"

maybe!

I snipped the rest away. I think both sides have made good points and I don't
want to respond point by point. Instead I want to touch on a theme.

In an ideal world the only rule LUGNET would ever need would be "be excellent to
each other".  It would cover everything!

In a super-ideal world, we'd never even have to enforce it.

This is a non ideal world though, as some of you may have noticed.

I ran a few searches (1) for common bad words here. The worse the word, the
higher the correlation to people being non excellent to each other in the post
or posts that contain them or close by. Not 100% by any means but the words are
symptoms. Not causes, but still there is that correlation.

Is it possible to be snide, snotty, sarcastic or just plain mean without being
profane? Sure. You know I know that to be true. But the words are trip wires or
canaries, sometimes. Their presence suggests that looking more closely is
warranted, maybe. NOT that there's an issue but that looking more closely might
be.

You'll note we admins consistently resist calls to generate specific and large
lists of banned words. I personally don't like even the occasional d--n to slip
through(2)!...  but we come down harder on people that use mild expletives to
not be nice to each other than if they are bantering. (in that case except maybe
for a teasing post once in a while, we do nothing). More serious ones, we take
more seriously as we all have seen.

Is this perfect? No.

If someone could put together a better approach that let anything by... that
never banned the word, just sanctioned the behaviour, heck, maybe I'd be in
favor. But I haven't heard it yet. I have just heard that the current policy is
stifling.

I'm not sure that's a solution yet, it needs a bit more fleshing out.

If someone had a serious concrete proposal for a change, one that addressed the
issues I see (not just the ones I mentioned here but also the ones that others
have mentioned), I'd certainly be pushing for it being given serious
consideration. Very serious consideration.

1 - http://news.lugnet.com/?q=fred but substitute whatever you want for "fred"
2 - maybe I'm a prude. maybe I am proud that I can say what I want without
needing it. I am saltier in person than I am online.