 Administrative / General / 12114
Re: who does chris think he is?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 01:53:22 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
<snip>
One does not have to be college educated to be able to figure out if one has
violated the ToS.  I couldn't recite a single item from the ToS, because it
has been so long since I read it.  But I know the difference between crossing
the line over what is and what is not acceptable.  It is simple common sense.

I know the difference between appropriate and inappropriate as well.  I'm focusing in on this so called "pofanity" issue that the LUGNET admins seem to circling around like vultures waiting for prey.  If they are not then I apologize for making the genralization but, based on the recent timeouts handed down, at first glace it certainly it appears this way to me.  As I said in my other post, words in and of themselves are *not* bad.  It's all about the contex in which they are placed.   This is not to say that some the reprimands issued recently were not justified but I submit that *any* word can be used in a hurtful, spite filled manner.  This is what the admin should be looking for and not, for example, a post that quotes a suposed "bad" word as an example.

-Orion

P.S. Please do not take this post as a rant about the LUGNET admins.  Many of
them are my friends and I know that, in the end, they are trying to do the right
thing but this specific issue is a very hot button topic for me.

That reminds me of a few moths ago when I used 'jackass' in a post.  It's a word
that has been used on 'regular TV' (not  cable or after 9 p.m.) but I was
offered a polite warning via e-mail.

So, on the one hand I'm all for common sense (my first big posting spree way
back when was regarding 'community policing--remember that?  ahh, the good
olddays...) and not defining anything, but the line is still a little fuzzy to
me.  Are we 'Happy Days' words around here, where the nastiest thing said was
'sit on it' (though, these days that could be construed totally differently) or
are we 'Friends' words, where 'jackass' was used.  I'm not thinking we have to
go to 'NYPD Blue' words or such, but I dunno...

Dave K