 Administrative / General / 10451
Re: a few new things
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 18:21:05 GMT

Jeremy Scott wrote:

Do people really need a button to click when they initiate a search or is
everyone like me and just hit Return?

To put it simple, everyone is smart and stupid in differant ways.  You are
very smart about the net, as am I, but to you, and me, fixing a car must be
like reading egyptian hyrogliphics.  If we are on one side of the spectrum,
there must be other people on the other side, and therefore, they need that
button.  In order to make the Lugnet homepage the most user friendly it can,
just place a simple 'go' button next to the search field.

While I agree with the above, PLEASE enable a return after typing to start a search - I HATE sites that have a text entry box and hitting return at that point will do nothing.

On a sidenote - I use the http://www.lugnet.com/quickset/ql.js Search, have it set to the Search button on my keyboards at work and home.  My one nit with it is that when it loads, it doesn't move the cursor into the entry box by default.  I know this is easily possible, as many other sites do so.  It forces me to bounce from keyboard to mouse to keyboard when it shouldn't be necessary.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/