 Administrative / General / 10430
Re: a few new things
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 00:47:08 GMT

The new homepage is in progress.. Only its basic layout is decided. Choice • of
exact text, pretty pictures and links are yet to be hammered out. you're
looking at placeholders..
http://www.baseplate.com/lugnet/work/screen-1.jpg

Looks very nice!

A few comments:

My monitor is set for 1024 pixel width and I still have to scroll sideways
to see everything. A lot of people are still on 800x600 even.

Some of the labels on the button bar at the top say "LUGNET xxx" and some
don't. There would be more space for better names if the LUGNET was left off
things like LUGNET Shop. I would also replace "LUGNET News" with
"Discussions"... lots of people (newer to the Net) don't associate "News"
with discussions newsgroups, they think it's News like in newspaper.

The message title area on the left is close to impossible to read on my
monitor... if it was bigger text, or teh same size but sans-serif, it would
be easier.

currently I'm wondering:
do people really need a button to click when they initiate a search? or is
everyone like me and just hit Return?

Some buttons elsewhere on the net don't do anything if you just hit return,
so people (me included) get into the habit of clicking. I think many people
would be confused if there was no button.

how small can I make that type..
Is it possible to control *relative* rather than absolute size, and let the
user's browser settings control the absolute size? My eyes are not what they
were and tiny text gets harder and harder to read. :(

Kevin