 Administrative / General / 10437
Re: a few new things
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 17:40:23 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
Hi.

Hi!

For those of you who love progress... I have a few things to reveal that are
not ready for "real" announcement yet. I'm open to feedback as I work. (I know
how you guys *love* to provide feedback.. wink)

Woho!

I started an Admin Help Wanted list:
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/helpwanted

Do you need printing services for the T-Shirts or just distributing?  If so,
I know of a great contact that is the cheapest, boasts the highest quality
stuff and is the nicest guy. This is first hand, he is printing for my org.

Part of the above includes a notebook page:
http://www.baseplate.com/lugnet/notes/magazine-outline.jpg
I'm pretty serious about this concept and want to talk to some people about >how we can work together.

Please explain this further...

The new homepage is in progress...

Yeah!

Only its basic layout is decided. Choice of exact text, pretty pictures and >links are yet to be hammered out.  You're looking at placeholders.

http://www.baseplate.com/lugnet/work/screen-1.jpg

Currently I'm wondering:

Shoot.

Do people really need a button to click when they initiate a search or is
everyone like me and just hit Return?

To put it simple, everyone is smart and stupid in differant ways.  You are
very smart about the net, as am I, but to you, and me, fixing a car must be
like reading egyptian hyrogliphics.  If we are on one side of the spectrum,
there must be other people on the other side, and therefore, they need that
button.  In order to make the Lugnet homepage the most user friendly it can,
just place a simple 'go' button next to the search field.

How many cool tools can I launch from the homepage?

Hmmm.  Tools?  If tools mean links to the the set db, brickshelf, brickwise
(hoping for a better name), peeron, etc, then keep what you have.

Should I really use CSS?

CSS is IMHO the best thing to happen to the net since html.  It ensures
uniformity, less cluttered code and easier changes (Imagine changing the
color on 40 pages!).

How small can I make that type?

For main text, what you have is about as small as I'd suggest going.

How often can I realisticly update pretty content about the community?

I wouldn't mind everyday.  Update when you can, when the content is ready
and when you see the need for it.

Where can I stick a 'latest posts' box, like we used to have?

See below for overall suggestions.

Should I mention that we now have members of 100 flags? (all 50 states, DC, and about 49? countries)... blah, blah, blah...

I like the community section and placing a link to the lug world map with
that statement as an intro would be neat.