 Administrative / General / 10431
Re: a few new things
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 03:43:27 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
The new homepage is in progress.. Only its basic layout is decided. Choice of
exact text, pretty pictures and links are yet to be hammered out. you're
looking at placeholders..
http://www.baseplate.com/lugnet/work/screen-1.jpg
currently I'm wondering:
do people really need a button to click when they initiate a search? or is
everyone like me and just hit Return?

I would like a button. I really hate (for example, sorry Dan) peeron.com,
where I type in a set number, then click "sets", and have to click back on
the text field & hit enter.

how many cool tools can I launch from the
homepage?

My advice would be "restraint". The home page is more for people wanting to
explore, let them explore a bit without hitting them with a click-fest on
the first page. Maybe a "Cool Tools" page?

should I really use CSS?

No reason not to (IMO).

how small can I make that type..

The text on the main page is OK, wouldn't want to go any smaller than the
stuff at the bottom. Remember some of us still use broken versions of
netscape that can't display pretty fonts. And I dunno how you read your news
ticker - that's way too small in that typeface.

how often
can I realisticly update pretty content about the community?

Do you have ideas about what you'd like to change & how often? I'm not sure
what kind of stuff you're meaning here...

where can I stick
a 'latest posts' box, like we used to have?

On a "latest posts" page? I don't think it should be on the front page.
Maybe a link in the "Shortcuts to popular areas" box? Are you planning to
remove the highlighted posts list completely? If so, there needs to be (a
link to) some info somewhere about setting up the news ticker on various
browsers.

should I mention that we now have
members of 100 flags? (all 50 states, DC, and about 49? countries)...

Yep, I think that'd be neat. People like reading stuff like that.

side note: It's freaky that someone just posted about a licence-plate holder..
CP just made those available this week and I drew up a LUGNET one that said "my
other car is a 6-wide." I kid you not! We must all think alike.

Classic!! What about bumper stickers?

ROSCO