 Administrative / General / 10439
Re: a few new things
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 04:10:54 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
hi.

for those of you who love progress... I have a few things to reveal that are
not ready for "real" announcement yet. I'm open to feedback as I work. (I know
how you guys *love* to provide feedback.. wink)

part of the above includes a notebook page:
http://www.baseplate.com/lugnet/notes/magazine-outline.jpg
I'm pretty serious about this concept and want to talk to some people about how
we can work together.

This looks really interesting.  Is this intended to be a print mag?  Or an
e-zine?  Either way, it looks very exciting.

The new homepage is in progress.. Only its basic layout is decided. Choice of
exact text, pretty pictures and links are yet to be hammered out. you're
looking at placeholders..
http://www.baseplate.com/lugnet/work/screen-1.jpg

Don't take this the wrong way but........

It looks so very corporate.

The design is almost too snazy.  The clean lines, the co-ordinated colors.
All very high class.  But in the end gives the appearance of a company out
to sell something.

In all honesty... something based on that hand written notebook page would
make a much better homepage.  Trying to make the homepage too slick makes
takes some of the 'community' feeling out of it.

At least there's a link to 'About' the site.  A very needed feature.  It
should always be remembered that not everyone reading LUGNET knows exactly
what it's all about on their first visit.

currently I'm wondering:
do people really need a button to click when they initiate a search? or is
everyone like me and just hit Return?

button.visible = True

You are a power user.  Many web surfers.... even LEGO fans..... aren't.

where can I stick
a 'latest posts' box, like we used to have?

Short answer..... anywhere.  So long as it's there.  It was a great feature.
It keeps the homepage dynamic without anyone actively updating it.

should I mention that we now have
members of 100 flags? (all 50 states, DC, and about 49? countries)... blah,
blah, blah...

Maybe 49+ countries.  Does the U.S. really need to be represented 51 times?

Keep up the good work.  I'm sure it seems overwhelming at times.

Regards,
Allan B.