 Administrative / General / 10441
Re: a few new things
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 18:32:38 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Allan Bedford writes:
The design is almost too snazy.  The clean lines, the co-ordinated colors.
All very high class.  But in the end gives the appearance of a company out
to sell something.

How can someone take such a statement the wrong way?  As far as I can tell,
you are advocating BAD DESIGN

Ooops, sorry...... didn't mean to give that impression.  There's nothing
wrong with good design; quite the contrary.  I was simply trying to suggest
that the design I saw there appeared somewhat too business-like.  Perhaps I
can clarify with examples:

Here's a heavy duty corporate site intent on selling magazine subscriptions:

http://www.backpacker.com

Here's a community oriented site intent on sharing information and resources:

http://www.dayhiker.com/

There is nothing wrong with either design, but to my eyes (repeat to 'my
eyes') the second site appears a little more inviting and friendly.

I think that for LUGNET to continue to grow, it must attract new users and
participants.  And for this to happen, I think people need to get a sense of
the community spirit right from the get-go.  I was just trying to convey the
idea that I felt the design seemed almost too savy and that perhaps it might
look *to some* folks that this was a commercial site, rather than a
community based one.

Throwing up a webpage in an amateurish, "took me five minutes," manner is
perhaps excusable for showing off a new MOC -- but not for something like
Lugnet.

Agreed.  No need to make inviting and sociable look cheap and poorly
executed.  I was really referring to the feeling of the site, not the
technology of the web design.

Heck, even some MOC pages are getting pretty slick at this point --
usually, I can't be bothered to do more myself but that's far different from
objecting to the practice of creating well designed websites.  If Suz is
willing to do it, we should congratulate her for getting it right, not try
to convince her to tone down her skills for some unknown good design hating
users that may be out there.

Again, I apologize that you took this impression from my comments.  I hope
the examples above illustrate my point more clearly.  Keep in mind that this
is only an opinion, not based on any fact.  Also keep in mind that I'm the
guy who thinks Jack Stone looks like Playmobile, so take my comments for
what they're worth.  :)

I dunno, maybe your point is not getting through to me -- otherwise, I stand
behind my defense of good design.

I hope this post clears things up a bit.  Let me know if you still have
concerns.

All the best,
Allan B.