 Administrative / General / 10438
Re: a few new things
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 22:23:30 GMT

"LUGNET Admin" <suz@lugnet.com> writes:
for those of you who love progress... I have a few things to reveal
that are not ready for "real" announcement yet. I'm open to feedback
as I work. (I know how you guys *love* to provide feedback.. wink)

I started an Admin Help Wanted list:
  http://news.lugnet.com/admin/helpwanted

I don't know how much time I can spare, but I can help with
programming and UI design effort, perhaps with the Market section?

part of the above includes a notebook page:
  http://www.baseplate.com/lugnet/notes/magazine-outline.jpg
I'm pretty serious about this concept and want to talk to some
people about how we can work together.

A thought: This seems to me to have a lot in common with the Market
idea.

The new homepage is in progress.. Only its basic layout is
decided. Choice of exact text, pretty pictures and links are yet to
be hammered out. you're looking at placeholders..
  http://www.baseplate.com/lugnet/work/screen-1.jpg

My first impression: I looked under "Community" and didn't find the
newsgroups there.  However I wouldn't recommend redesigning the whole
thing, just add a link at the top of the "Community" section pointing
to http://news.lugnet.com/.

On the newsgroups section: I think that "newbie" is considered
somewhat perjorative to many new users.  Anyway, it's not just newbies
who should be sure to check out the list of groups.

Finally I'd shrink the big image.  It will take too long to download.
Also, make sure the whole thing looks good at 800x600 please!  That's
the maximum resolution I have at home (old laptop)...

currently I'm wondering:

do people really need a button to click when they initiate a
search? or is everyone like me and just hit Return?

I would give a very small "GO" button, because many people do want to
click.  But if it's the only text element in the form, just hitting
Return will work.  But don't depend on JavaScript please!

how many cool tools can I launch from the homepage?

Not sure what you mean by this...

should I really use CSS?

Yes.  All major browsers support it.  But please make sure it looks
good on Netscape 4.x as well as the newer browsers...

how small can I make that type..

font size=-2 is generally readable.  Don't use CSS to set the font
size; use <font> tags.  If you use CSS, then it is harder for visually
impaired users to override (unless they're using Opera, of course).

how often can I realisticly update pretty content about the
community?

Automate as much as you can.  Maybe you can find a way to have it
automatically remove links that have been on the homepage for more
than a month or something - a page with few links is better than one
with lots of out-of-date ones.

where can I stick a 'latest posts' box, like we used to have?

Used to?  The "Top Stories" box is still there on the current site.
Please don't get rid of that...

should I mention that we now have members of 100 flags? (all 50
states, DC, and about 49?  countries)... blah, blah, blah...

Hmm, interesting idea.  How about a World LUGNET Member map as well as
a World LUG map?

LUGNET's CafePress shop, for sale of logo items, is setting-up
anew. I've been designing and ordering products.. trying to get
colors adjusted and seeing what kinda damage a dishwasher and
clothes-dryer can do (rigorous testing!). So far, the best looking
items (quality of logo repro) are: a mousepad, ceramic tile, tote
bag. t-shirts are getting there, and the mugs are looking really
bad. same problems we had last time (few years ago). please don't
try to buy anything!

I'm glad you're doing this testing.  Maybe you could talk to Tommy
about getting engraved LEGO bricks with the LUGNET logo?

side note: It's freaky that someone just posted about a
licence-plate holder..  CP just made those available this week and I
drew up a LUGNET one that said "my other car is a 6-wide." I kid you
not! We must all think alike.

This would also be good for a bumpersticker.

[...]

Great work, Suz!  Keep it up, and don't forget to delegate as much as
you can ... :-)

--Bill.

AMAZING BUT TRUE: There is so much sand in northern Africa that if it were
                  spread out it would completely cover the Sahara Desert!