 Administrative / Curators / 328
Re: A Change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.people, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 22:06:56 GMT

Hendo (John P. Henderson) wrote:

Time for me to play devil's advocate...
If the verification problem is something that even members get when not
using the interface that I do, then I argue that maybe the web interface
is your solution if you really don't like the system, and who among us
doesn't have a web browser available half the time anyway?

Even members get the verification when using a newsreader
The web interface has several drawbacks :

- It's harder to search for things compared to a regular news reader (I
store all messages I retrieve local for reference)
- I need to be online to draft/make a post, while with a newsreader I can
compose it and post later (storing temp posts with notepad isn't
convenient)
- Web browsers are NOT easy to browse through posts, because they don't
display message trees like a good newsreader, and it's harder to keep track
of posts you read and posts you didn't read.
- Web browsers generate more traffic. For some perhaps moot, but as I'm
always way over my ISP's limit already I try to watch out for waisted
bandwidth.
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/~javanree/
LEGO Santa Fe B-unit | http://www.vanree.net/~javanree/lego/f7b.html