 Trains / 29834
Re: LEGO 9V Train Communication II
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2007 18:04:19 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Brian Davis wrote:
It [Bluetooth] could, but I'm not sure what the increase in cost would be. IR is extremely
mature technology, and can be done without and special hardware; very, very
cheap, yet (within its limitations) fairly robust (especially LEGO
implementation of it, avoiding signal collision). For Bluetooth, you need a
special chipset (usually not cheap, and I'm not sure even getting cheaper, just
better), as well as constant power consumption (when BT is "on", it is using
power, even if it's not connected or active). I agree it would increase the
possibilities significantly, but I think it would have a significant increase in
cost. The "master-slave" nature of the system might have some advantage here
however: each loco or powered feature needs only the ability to have a single
"slave" connection to a "master" that can handle many slaves, so the slaves
might end up relatively cheap, with more of the cost ending up in the
controller... which could, quite reasonably, be an NXT (on the high side of
price, but the flexibility!).

Bluetooth is indeed probably way too expensive and complex. Perhaps the
costs would go down, but probably not enough to make this cost-effective.

There are cheaper radio systems, like 804.15.4 (ZigBee) that would make more
sense than Bluetooth (but you would lose the ability to control the train from a
cell phone or NXT), but they probably are still more expensive than IR, and the
licensing issue is still there.

I hope that Lego would consider the possibility of releasing the connectors and
appropriate enclosures to allow third-party vendors to make radio components for
Power Functions, much like their arrangement with HiTechnic with respect to NXT
sensors, which are even sold on the Lego web site. These vendors can make a
profit at much lower volumes. A $30 remote/receiver pair may not make sense for
Lego, but it may be a good product for one of these vendors.