 Trains / 29806
Re: LEGO 9V Train Communication II
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2007 01:20:26 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Remko Stift wrote:

wrote on the Dutch Lego forum the following:

- infrared control;

One interesting possibility is an IR remote that does not have to have a
constant signal to work. In other words, have the remote send commands that
change the state of the train, but not need to continuously send a "go forward"
command or similar. That would solve the "long dark tunnel" problem as well.

Ummm.... except that you lose control when the train goes into a tunnel, or you
have areas of unreliable control on your layout.  Losing control in a tunnel
would be a big deal for "serious" model railroaders that like off-stage
"staging" yards.  Not such a big deal for any but the most ambitious Lego
layout, I suppose.

Personally, its the "unreliable control" aspect of IR that concerns me.

One thought that comes to mind is that if we can reverse engineer the IR
protocol, there is no reason we can't build repeaters or our own controllers.
You could sprinkle IR transmitters throughout the layout and wire them all in
parallel. With that, the loco should never be out of reliable communication
range.

An IR controlled turn-out motor would also be on my wish list.

-dave