 Trains / 29812
Re: LEGO 9V Train Communication II
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2007 15:55:48 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jordan Schwarz wrote:

That would need to be in software since the RCX is perfectly
IR equipped as far as I am concerned.

I'm pretty sure the RCX could be programmed to throw PF control messages... and
while this would be a lot cheaper from a HW standpoint at the moment, I'm not
sure it would be long-term. Right now the RCX is cheap(er) on eBay, but as they
become rarer over time, you will have less HW to play with, and fewer people
writing custom SW to get it to do it. On other words, if you move towards a HW
solution that is no longer currently produced, there are other issue to
consider.

But if the RCX can control the Manas, it should be able to handle the PF stuff.

Of course, that will cost $250 for the NXT plus another $50
for the sensor plus whatever you pay for the train)

True, but given the amount of money spent on the large (or even medium sized)
layouts, I'm surprised the cost is too much of a barrier. At S@H right now, you
could grab an NXT & a rechargeable battery set for $189 (less if you already
have enough transformers). Add an IRLink for $47, and you have a DIY three-train
control system for $236*. Not cheap, but when I look at the cost of the track,
rolling stock, and brickscaping (!) that people will pay for, I'd be surprised
if this is too great a barrier. How much does a DCC controller cost, $30-$40 or
so per train or device? So for an LDCC system, you need a minimum of the 1.0 RCX
($50 if you wait for it on eBay) and three decoders (another $90 to $120 or
so?), so you're already edging towards $200.

--
Brian Davis

*I'm not sure why it says "up to three trains" - I was guessing up to four, with
four channels, but the IR train commands may be different... and may change
further with this possible new system.