 Trains / 29818
Re: LEGO 9V Train Communication II
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2007 02:08:14 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Dave Curtis wrote:
One thought that comes to mind is that if we can reverse engineer the IR
protocol, there is no reason we can't build repeaters or our own controllers.
You could sprinkle IR transmitters throughout the layout and wire them all in
parallel. With that, the loco should never be out of reliable communication
range.

I already did something very close. I reversed engineer the IR protocol of the
Power Functions and created a small device that can both send and receive IR
commands. The components in this device probably cost around $10-15 (but
excluding the gadget that connects the thing to a PC to program it, which costs
$20-50 more). It connects to the NXT, but it's possible to build similar
stand-alone devices like repeaters, custom remotes, etc. One person used my
specification of the protocol to build a custom Power Functions remote.

Last year I made some measurements of the IR protocol of the IR trains, but I
wasn't methodical enough to allow me to reverse engineer that protocol from my
measurements. But I think that the two protocols are closely related. If
somebody lends me a Trains IR remote for a couple of days (in the Boston area),
I can probably reverse engineer that protocol as well.

The details are at <http://www.tau.ac.il/~stoledo/lego/AVR-ir/>.

Sivan