 Trains / 29800
Re: LEGO 9V Train Communication II
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2007 16:10:52 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Remko Stift wrote:

wrote on the Dutch Lego forum the following:

- infrared control;

One interesting possibility is an IR remote that does not have to have a
constant signal to work. In other words, have the remote send commands that
change the state of the train, but not need to continuously send a "go forward"
command or similar. That would solve the "long dark tunnel" problem as well.

- rechargeable battery;

Good. I wonder if it will be related to the NXT Li-ion battery. There's good
(rechargeable, light weight) as well as bad (limited shelf life) issues there,
so I hope a non-rechargeable option is available as well.

- stepless speedcontrol from new remote;
- new PF is already in preproduction fase;
- cables not attached to motors;
- seperate receivers;
- multiple channel receivers i.e. lights can
  be controlled independant from speed.

Now speaking as a Mindstorms type... *very* good. The questions start popping up
fast. Two off the top of my head:

- Stepless (continuous?) speed control: That could imply PWM from the
receiver(s), so "smarter" receivers at least. Same for multi-channel receivers.
- Motors without attached cord: Not more flexible for building & wiring, but
perhaps implying a two-ended PF cord, or perhaps using a hybrid cord with a
different connector (NXT?)

I already use the IR remote with my track
powered motors, which is great fun...

How do you do that?

--
Brian Davis