 Trains / 29792
Re: LEGO 9V Train Communication II
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2007 14:18:58 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi all,

See below.  I'm not sure how many of you read the Italian posts and I don't know
if this is old news, but I didn't see this in Trains so I thought I would post.
This is the English translation; I snipped the Italian since my Italian is a
good as my Mandarin.

Rafe

In lugnet.org.it.itlug, Marco Chiappa wrote:
<snip>
Dear all,
As promised in the first communication from the 1st of October we, are informing you of decisions regarding the development of the new LEGO Power Functions train system. Using all the valuable feedback we received from the AFOL community, we have now reached some basic decisions about the scope of the future train system.   We are still working on the details of the new Power Functions train system; however, there are certain features that have been decided. Some of these features are a new designed remote control with speed regulator, a new size rechargeable battery box with a built in speed regulator and finally we are exploring and seriously considering new track geometries thanks to the use of plastic rails.

As you know, this has been one of the most requested features from the AFOL
community over the years.  In late April 2007 we arranged a workshop for a group
of 5 AFOLs involved in the LEGO train community, and they worked on some of the
possible solutions and defined the basic needs for a new LEGO Power Functions
train system along with the LEGO design and engineering team.

In this workshop it became clear what sort of elements and features to include
in the new train system.  The result of this workshop was the design of
prototype elements.  Detailed decisions about the specifications of the elements
are still in discussion and will be for the next couple of months. We wish to
continue the cooperation with the AFOL community in the development of the Power
Functions train system and in late November we had another workshop where we
built on the experiences from the first workshop.  In the November workshop
there were ten fans from around the world: Denmark, USA, France, Belgium, the
Netherlands, Germany, and United Kingdom. The idea was that the AFOLs and the
LEGO team would build with the prototypes in order to determine what additional
features to include, what to add to the concept and, finally refining it. This
ensures that the new Power Functions train system gets input from the AFOL
community and also ensures the features are as close as possible to what is
requested by the AFOL community. However, please keep in mind that the new train
system first and foremost should be suitable for the use of children, and
therefore it is consequently being tested by children as well as AFOLs.  There
is an established budget for the initial development so while we would like to
address all needs that are expressed; there is a high likelihood that we will be
unable to address all needs. You will be updated on the results of the workshop
and the continued development of the train system early in 2008. We continue to
value and appreciate your feedback and suggestions with regards to this project.

Richard Stollery, Head of LEGO Community Development