 Trains / 29830
Re: LEGO 9V Train Communication II
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:05:17 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Sivan Toledo wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Dave Curtis wrote:
One thought that comes to mind is that if we can reverse engineer the IR
protocol, there is no reason we can't build repeaters or our own controllers.
You could sprinkle IR transmitters throughout the layout and wire them all in
parallel. With that, the loco should never be out of reliable communication
range.

I already did something very close. I reversed engineer the IR protocol of the
Power Functions and created a small device that can both send and receive IR
commands. • <snip>

The details are at <http://www.tau.ac.il/~stoledo/lego/AVR-ir/>.

Sivan

Very good!  That is exactly what I was thinking.  I work a lot with AVR's, too,
so I'm happy to see you made the "right" choice in microcontrollers :)

-dave