 Trains / 29811
Re: LEGO 9V Train Communication II
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2007 15:56:50 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jordan Schwarz wrote:

I certainly agree that this might not be a cost-effective solution or a very
efficient way to implement DCC (although there are surely those out there who
will pursue it anyway).  I was just trying to emphasize that there isn't reall a
need to "reverse engineer" the IR protocol to build a controller, because there
already is one. Also, for many years, trainheads have thought it would be nice
if LEGO produced a DCC platform for us to use.  Although very primitive, the
potential is here for a computer-controlled train system using parts available
from LEGO, without modification.

On second thought, that doesn't look all that bad actually. Provided there is a
way to eventually control more than one train and set up several IR interfaces
(for positions where the optical link would otherwise fail) with a single RCX,
the solution might even become affordable, not to say elegant.

I guess I'll take the time to dig into this - not that I had the spare budget
right now, but who knows... (with three working RCXes at home, I'd like a
solution that utilizes those, though)

Thanks,

Jerry