 Trains / 29813
Re: LEGO 9V Train Communication II
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2007 16:13:08 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Brian Davis wrote:
True, but given the amount of money spent on the large (or even medium sized)
layouts, I'm surprised the cost is too much of a barrier. At S@H right now, you
could grab an NXT & a rechargeable battery set for $189 (less if you already
have enough transformers). Add an IRLink for $47, and you have a DIY three-train
control system for $236*. Not cheap, but when I look at the cost of the track,
rolling stock, and brickscaping (!) that people will pay for, I'd be surprised
if this is too great a barrier. How much does a DCC controller cost, $30-$40 or
so per train or device? So for an LDCC system, you need a minimum of the 1.0 RCX
($50 if you wait for it on eBay) and three decoders (another $90 to $120 or
so?), so you're already edging towards $200.

Brian, the more I read this, the more I am with you. I think I really need to
re-think my LEGO budget for next year...

Three trains sounds like fair enough to me, since our house is not supposed to
grow and the trains need some space to be guided through by the NXT.

Jerry