 Trains / 29809
Re: LEGO 9V Train Communication II
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2007 15:16:22 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Gereon Stein wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Jordan Schwarz wrote:
HiTechnic / LEGO now offer an "Infrared Link" for the NXT that seems to be
exactly the sort of thing you're describing here - and it is advertised as being
compatible with the Power Functions and train IR protocol.  This would mean that
no reverse engineering is necessary - just hook it up to the NXT and go.

It will be interesting to see what people come up with when they combine this
with trains.  I foresee a sort of primitive DCC - sensors on a layout would be
coupled with the IR links to send signals to a train in response to movements of
a train.  You know, one train pulls into a yard, signaling another to pull out
of the station.  I think all of that will be within reach with the new IR link.

Here's the link to the, um... "link":
<http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=MS1046>

Hi Jordan,

while this sounds like an interesting solution, it also sounds like a very
expensive one as opposed to going for RF in the first place (yep, I know that RF
remote controls have their own issues, power consumption being a significant one
above all).

It would seem to be a good idea to have a similar IR solution for the RCX (which
is more readily available (read: cheaper)). That would need to be in software
since the RCX is perfectly IR equipped as far as I am concerned.

The all-plastic tracks have their pros and cons - I'd have preferred to stay
with the metal tracks after all. As a matter of fact, I still don't own _a_ new
IR train set...

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I certainly agree that this might not be a cost-effective solution or a very
efficient way to implement DCC (although there are surely those out there who
will pursue it anyway).  I was just trying to emphasize that there isn't reall a
need to "reverse engineer" the IR protocol to build a controller, because there
already is one. Also, for many years, trainheads have thought it would be nice
if LEGO produced a DCC platform for us to use.  Although very primitive, the
potential is here for a computer-controlled train system using parts available
from LEGO, without modification.

(Of course, that will cost $250 for the NXT plus another $50 for the sensor plus
whatever you pay for the train)

-Jordan