 Trains / 29805
Re: Train Layout help needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2007 10:54:43 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Anne Schubert wrote:
Hi Guys,

  We just came up with this double figure 8 pattern using switch tracks

  Then we looked online to see what others had made and found something similar
using crossover tracks

http://www.ngltc.org/train_depot/Double8.htm

   Before we power up our own design, we want to know if we are going to do any
electrical damage.  Any advice would be appreciated.

THANKS!
Anne

If you can't follow the electrical connections, think of it like this:

If you can start two trains, one following behind the other, then simply by
changing the points at the right moment cause a head-on collision, then there's
something wrong.

That would mean that somewhere on the track the train can be turned round and
sent back along the same line, and that'll give you a short circuit.

For example, two figure-8 tracks are fine.  But integrate a loop around the
outside of the figure-8, and you've got this reversibility problem.

Even if you do cause a short-circuit, all that will happen is the green LED on
the train controller will dim and the train won't move.  It may get warm though,
so don't leave it too long.  Even if things do overheat, they usually cut out
and are fine again after a while left to cool.

Jason R