 Trains / 26527
26526  |  26528
Subject:
New Trains and BBB Wheels? (was: Re: Still more)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.year.2006
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:27:25 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Frank Filz wrote:
   Mike Walsh wrote:
   The battery container, the IR receiver, and the baseplate are all one unit. The motor is a separate unit, same form factor as the current 9v motor but without the wheels. The wheels are plastic and are attached to the motor via a Technic axel.

Hmm, does this mean the new motor could drive BBB wheels directly? That would be way cool for steam designers.

Frank

Good question. I’m eager to order a set and find out how BBB wheels will do with the new battery powered trains. I’ve tried BBB wheels with the 845 motor:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/845

Which easily accepts a technic axle. With large BBB drivers, at 9V the speed is a little slower then the old 4.5v trains and hill climbing power was fairly poor.

I’m anxious to test the new 9v train motor to see how it works with BBB wheels. But I’m inclined to believe any decent looking steam engine would need to position the IR receiver in a car following the engine and run a wire between.

Cheers,

Ben Fleskes Big Ben Bricks LLC