 Trains / 26588
Re: New Trains and BBB Wheels? (was: Re: Still more)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:52:37 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Matthew J. Chiles mattchiles@gorge.net wrote:

I wonder if you could use the new IR motor in a steam engine, driving the drivers, and an old 9V motor in the tender. With a wire between the two, you could have a double-powerful steam engine, with powered drivers and standard transformer (non-IR) control... could be very cool.

This is assuming that the IR receiver is on the battery part, not the motor, which I think is the case, but maybe not?

That would seem to be correct, but you’re forgetting that if you put big wheels on the battery motor, and connect it to a 9V motor with its small wheels, they’ll try to go at different speeds (assuming, as has been suggested, that the motor innards are the same).

Jason Railton

Yep, I can only dream that the adjusted the gear ratio in the new motors. The current 9v train motors run way to fast, I’d gladdly trade that for a bit more torque.

But even at differnt speeds, the BBB wheels have less traction, allowing them to slip some, and motors tend to to syncronize a bit once they’re under way.

So it might actually be cool, the steam engine’s drive wheels slip as try’s to start up, then the train starts to move forward, and the wheels grab, off she goes.