 Trains / 26531
Re: New Trains and BBB Wheels? (was: Re: Still more)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:09:41 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Matthew J. Chiles <mattchiles@gorge.net> wrote:

I wonder if you could use the new IR motor in a steam engine, driving
the drivers, and an old 9V motor in the tender.  With a wire between
the two, you could have a double-powerful steam engine, with powered
drivers and standard transformer (non-IR) control... could be very
cool.

This is assuming that the IR receiver is on the battery part, not the
motor, which I think is the case, but maybe not?

That would seem to be correct, but you're forgetting that if you put big wheels
on the battery motor, and connect it to a 9V motor with its small wheels,
they'll try to go at different speeds (assuming, as has been suggested, that the
motor innards are the same).

Jason Railton