 Trains / 26445
Re: Thoughts on Spy Photos of New Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 04:47:51 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton wrote:

I’d just assumed that most train-heads knew that already. John, you need to open up and talk to the six-wide builders more... ;-)

Eeoow. That’s akin to kissing one’s sister:-p

   But what does happen if you connect a 9V battery box to a train motor is that you get not so much a train-powering device as a train-launching device. The full 9V propels the motor at very high speed. That’s why I wondered if it doesn’t need six 1.5V batteries, and just propels the motor at a lower voltage.

Well, I was imagining a sort of regulator as a part of the battery pack that a remote control could simply activate. A long time ago my son Ross rigged up an old 12 volt motor that ran off of a 9 volt motor that was controlled by the speed regulator. Now I’m no electrical engineer, so I just figured that the various components would able to be moved around to achieve the desired results.

   If it does take six AA batteries (and they could just fit in 6-wide - lots of things do, you know ;) , it could obviously regulate the voltage going to the motor. It could mean the lights (if powered independently - and fingers crossed they’re on the remote) are much brighter than on 9V trains, and you could use flashing ones effectively too.

If it doesn’t regulate the voltage, you get a train base that goes ridiculously fast on its own, but may slow to a crawl under even a small load. I just hope they’ve resolved the wheel-wear problem.

I’m not sure why Mike thinks the motor goes backwards - surely you can say that about any of the 9V devices if you turn the connector round? If you just mean that putting the motor, cable and battery box in a straight line with the battery box switch towards the tail end makes it go tail first, that’s not really much of a problem.

Mr Reynolds actually built a battery powered train and snuck it into an otherwise professionally designed and run layout (note that the following smiley is for the benefit of the general readership, not Mr Reynolds himself... ;-) and it caused some near-misses by continuing to electrify the track it was on, even after it was told to stop. It was heavy enough that it didn’t immediately launch itself off the track under its own power, but it did use a single 9V battery in a small box rather than six AAs.

Ross is working on a top secret battery powered train project that I had hoped he would have finished by now-- it is pretty cool. Christmas break is now over, however, so I don’t know how much time he’ll have for it now...

JOHN