 Trains / 26406
Subject:
Thoughts on Spy Photos of New Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 14:04:38 GMT

Can “new trains” ever be a bad thing? Doubtful, but here are some observations based on the pic below that explore this question:

  • It appears that the battery motor has metal flanges like the 9 volt motor. Probably good; will last longer than mere plastic.

  • Battery box is large and comes in white and black (so far) I don’t know what that side thingie is on them, but might complicate attempts to build 8 wide trains.

  • The passenger train appears to be legitimately lighted; the Croc’s lighting seems to be a croc, unless they have developed lights to fit in headlight bricks and jumper plates.

  • And speaking of the passenger train, it appears that the nose, while cool, is a 1 piece mold, thus rendering it useless for 8 widers. It’s very existence mocks the effects of James Mathis over the years, a true builder of LEGO trains. Has an agent of Playmobil secretly infiltrated the design team at TLG?

  • I might be less critical if the new roof piece (apparently 8 studs long) is like this element rather than this element. That would be cool, especially WRT the smoke window section. If not, I’ll file it into the “missed opportunity” bin, which is badly overflowing;-)

  • All town vehicles appear to 6 wide now, threatening to dwarf the train line. I am reminded of an 18” Stonehenge...;-)
That’s it based on observation. RC has a lot of potential, but my fear is that it won’t nearly be powerful enough to exploit beyond stock LEGO sets, and certainly not to pull any 8 wide lash. I bet we get printed missives like we got with the 4.5 volt battery trains: “motor only designed to pull 3 cars” or something to that effect. Lashing motors together? Will this even be possible? Doubtful, thus condemning the trains to being short, toyish, and unimaginative. But that is all speculation at this point.

As I mentioned previously, I probably won’t run these trains, however tempting the prospect of RC control might be. The problem is that I don’t “play” with my trains; I turn them on and let them run, period. Nor have I any desire to do so. The whole concept is lost on me.

So I can only hope that TLG continues to produce the 9 volt motor. Actually, I don’t trust them in this regard and I will probably do what Ben will be doing and that is to stock up on about 50 motors in order to be ready when the death knell finally sounds. I will join the ranks of the sad clingers-on-to-the-past 12 volt fellers and become a dinosaur myself.

JOHN

Re: Thoughts on Spy Photos of New Trains
  • It appears that the battery motor has metal flanges like the 9 volt motor. Probably good; will last longer than mere plastic.

Maybe it is the old motor, or a slightly modified version. In some ways it wouldn’t surprise me if they reused the existing manufacturing line.

  • Battery box is large and comes in white and black (so far) I don’t know what that side thingie is on them, but might complicate attempts to build 8 wide trains.

This is what puts me off. At least with eight wide you can pad one plate at each side. With seven-wide (which I use for my Soviet stock) I have to add a half plate to the sides which is a challenge to say the least.

  • And speaking of the passenger train, it appears that the nose, while cool, is a 1 piece mold, thus rendering it useless for 8 widers. It’s very existence mocks the effects of James Mathis over the years, a true builder of LEGO trains. Has an agent of Playmobil secretly infiltrated the design team at TLG?

I wouldn’t expect to get a brickbuilt nose to be honest. It would add a lot to the price and would detract from the look in the eyes of most kids. We live in a slick age and bricks just aren’t going to cut it, no matter how clever. My preference is for brick builds but I’m not ten years old.

  • I might be less critical if the new roof piece (apparently 8 studs long) is like this element rather than this element. That would be cool, especially WRT the smoke window section. If not, I’ll file it into the “missed opportunity” bin, which is badly overflowing;-)

I’m doing a wait and see on this.

  • All town vehicles appear to 6 wide now, threatening to dwarf the train line. I am reminded of an 18” Stonehenge...;-)

Well no worries for you there ;) I’ve been stocking up on four-wide wheelsets from BL and the little racers sets to keep my vehicles in ‘scale’ to my trains.

   So I can only hope that TLG continues to produce the 9 volt motor. Actually, I don’t trust them in this regard and I will probably do what Ben will be doing and that is to stock up on about 50 motors in order to be ready when the death knell finally sounds. I will join the ranks of the sad clingers-on-to-the-past 12 volt fellers and become a dinosaur myself.

JOHN

I’m still waiting to find out if the motor is the same, or close enough.

Tim

Re: Thoughts on Spy Photos of New Trains
  • It appears that the battery motor has metal flanges like the 9 volt motor. Probably good; will last longer than mere plastic.

Maybe it is the old motor, or a slightly modified version. In some ways it wouldn’t surprise me if they reused the existing manufacturing line.

I am hoping it will be a modified version of the 9v motor. If it is the same motor, then if it runs onto metal track, it’s battery will find itself powering the track out through the wheels instead of getting power in through them. (The modification would be to simply delete the wipers which connect to the power from the wheel flanges.)

Of course, this would not be an issue on plastic track, but I believe I recall, at BrickFest 2005, Jake saying that the battery and earlier 9v systems would interoperate. So battery trains (which have the capability to be independently controlled on the same stretch of track) would short to each other on a metal clad track which would not be compatible.

JB

Re: Thoughts on Spy Photos of New Trains
  • It appears that the battery motor has metal flanges like the 9 volt motor. Probably good; will last longer than mere plastic.

Maybe it is the old motor, or a slightly modified version. In some ways it wouldn’t surprise me if they reused the existing manufacturing line.

I am hoping it will be a modified version of the 9v motor. If it is the same motor, then if it runs onto metal track, it’s battery will find itself powering the track out through the wheels instead of getting power in through them. (The modification would be to simply delete the wipers which connect to the power from the wheel flanges.)

I’m not really hoping, but it would be awesome if they modified the existing motor to allow it to be powered by either battery or off the rails.

The very best (IMO) would be like the trainmodders have done -- the power picked up from the rails is fed to an output on top of the motor unit, and the actual power to run the motor is fed in through an input on top of the unit.

   Of course, this would not be an issue on plastic track, but I believe I recall, at BrickFest 2005, Jake saying that the battery and earlier 9v systems would interoperate. So battery trains (which have the capability to be independently controlled on the same stretch of track) would short to each other on a metal clad track which would not be compatible.

As long as it’s compatible with NXT...

Steve

Re: Thoughts on Spy Photos of New Trains
  • It appears that the battery motor has metal flanges like the 9 volt motor. Probably good; will last longer than mere plastic.

Maybe it is the old motor, or a slightly modified version. In some ways it wouldn’t surprise me if they reused the existing manufacturing line.

I am hoping it will be a modified version of the 9v motor. If it is the same motor, then if it runs onto metal track, it’s battery will find itself powering the track out through the wheels instead of getting power in through them. (The modification would be to simply delete the wipers which connect to the power from the wheel flanges.)

I’m not really hoping, but it would be awesome if they modified the existing motor to allow it to be powered by either battery or off the rails.

The current 9v motor can be powered by rails or a battery box. Just plug a battery box where the light brick would normally connect and turn it on. The only thing is it will go backwards compared to normal power by the wheels. However a polarity switch (or even turning the plug around the other way) will fix that. While I am not a die hard train fan I still like the whole 9v standard and hope that they are simply using the same motor with a new battery box controller. (Turn off the battery box and stick the train on 9v track and away you go.) This would actually make sense if, as TLC stated, they do not intend to discontiune the 9v train system but have both, so that kids can “graduate” to the the 9v trains. What better way than to have the cheaper battery train sets you “already own” work on the more expensive 9v as well.

-Mike Petrucelli

<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lrlego/Schep/02-train_2006.jpg
<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lrlego/Schep/thumb/02-train_2006.jpg_thumb.jpg>>

* It appears that the battery motor has metal flanges like the 9 volt
motor.
Probably good; will last longer than mere plastic.

* Battery box is large and comes in white and black (so far) I don't know
what
that side thingie is on them, but might complicate attempts to build 8
wide
trains.

* The passenger train appears to be [legitimately] lighted; the Croc's
lighting
seems to be a croc, unless they have developed lights to fit in headlight
bricks and jumper plates.

That looks like an optical illusion to me.  It appears the light is coming
from a nx4 brick between the 2 headlight bricks and under the jumper plate.

-Rob
www.brickmodder.net

Re: Thoughts on Spy Photos of New Trains
  • I might be less critical if the new roof piece (apparently 8 studs long) is like this element rather than this element. That would be cool, especially WRT the smoke window section. If not, I’ll file it into the “missed opportunity” bin, which is badly overflowing;-)

I’m doing a wait and see on this.

It would look to be the curved elements used on the Millenium Falcon escape pod, judging from the ends. Sadly, this means they are nigh useless for anyone making 8-wides, but for 6-wides, they should prove quite nice, and lighter than all those 2x3’s (though I dare say having a ton of those in white would prove interesting).

-Stefan-

Re: Thoughts on Spy Photos of New Trains
   Can “new trains” ever be a bad thing? Doubtful, but here are some observations based on the pic below that explore this question:

  • All town vehicles appear to 6 wide now, threatening to dwarf the train line. I am reminded of an 18” Stonehenge...;-)

As I mentioned previously, I probably won’t run these trains, however tempting the prospect of RC control might be. The problem is that I don’t “play” with my trains; I turn them on and let them run, period. Nor have I any desire to do so. The whole concept is lost on me.

I share the same POV. I just wish I got into trains a lot earlier and had more train elements at this point.

   So I can only hope that TLG continues to produce the 9 volt motor. Actually, I don’t trust them in this regard

Same here, unfortunately. I plan on getting more track now as well. What I am wondering is if one of the trains is RC and the other is reg 9V. I guess maybe they’d conflict with each other regarding sales.

I’d love to talk more but I really have to get down to the lobby to sit and wait for the limo.*

Jonathan
  • another Spinal Tarp reference for those unfamiliar with the classic spoof.

[...]

The white one looks like the train version of the new airliners - i.e. like a Playmobil set. It wouldn’t bother me (as much) if these were 4+/Jack Stone sets. But the airliner has almost the same age recommendation (5-12) as something like 4892 (6-12).

I don’t get it.

Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc’s Creations

Re: Thoughts on Spy Photos of New Trains
   That looks like an optical illusion to me. It appears the light is coming from a nx4 brick between the 2 headlight bricks and under the jumper plate.

Hey, you’re correct, Rob. I thought it was just fancy Photoshopping, but the lights do seem to appear from a green one of these

JOHN

Re: Thoughts on Spy Photos of New Trains
   I’d love to talk more but I really have to get down to the lobby to sit and wait for the limo.*

Are you playing at the Enormodome?

  • another Spinal Tarp reference for those unfamiliar with the classic spoof.

“Tarp”:-) Jonathan, you truly are a kindred spirit! I just “introduced” my kids to Tap this Christmas break. Top Ten greatest film without a doubt.

[...]

I don’t buy this argument. The Super Chief proved that brick-built designs can be both aesthetically pleasing and popular.

And how could a brick-built design be any more expensive than that Playmobil wanna-be? 20-30 small bricks made from existing molds would have to be cheaper than designing an entirely new mold for a piece that will only ever show up in one or two sets. How much use did TLC get out of this monstrosity?

Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc’s Creations

Re: Thoughts on Spy Photos of New Trains
  • I might be less critical if the new roof piece (apparently 8 studs long) is like this element rather than this element. That would be cool, especially WRT the smoke window section. If not, I’ll file it into the “missed opportunity” bin, which is badly overflowing;-)

I’m doing a wait and see on this.

It would look to be the curved elements used on the Millenium Falcon escape pod, judging from the ends. Sadly, this means they are nigh useless for anyone making 8-wides, but for 6-wides, they should prove quite nice, and lighter than all those 2x3’s (though I dare say having a ton of those in white would prove interesting).

-Stefan-

No need to wait or hope for an 8-wide curved roof element.

Take a look at the new airliners: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=7893-1

Particularly this piece:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=54095

Now to just hope they produce it in black, dark bley, and light bley.

-Jeramy

Re: Thoughts on Spy Photos of New Trains