 Trains / 26437
Re: Thoughts on Spy Photos of New Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 14:24:52 GMT

   I was just pointing out that the Santa Fe was indeed targeted at children. According to Jake, no sets are targeted at AFOLs:

    In truth, there are actually no “AFOL products” in our assortment. Sure,
    there are products that better keep in mind the AFOL needs/desires more
    than others. But there is not one product (yet) that was created solely
    for AFOLs.

Marc Nelson Jr.

The whole point of this exercise is to bring down the entry point of a starting train set. The Super Chief cost more than the My-Own-Train, so it doesn’t help one bit. The price-per-piece is irrelevant - if that was the only engine available it would be too high a price for a first train set. That’s why it was only sold through LEGO channels, not regular toy shops.

This isn’t about the target age range; it’s about the target volume of sales.

If a complete battery train set can be sold for significantly less than the current complete 9V setups then it will bring more people into LEGO trains.

The Super Chief wouldn’t warrant custom mouldings because it was a smaller production run. Something that is intended to sell in large numbers will recoup the extra tooling cost of a new piece, and then it will have been worth it.

I’ve held the view (and expressed it here and to Jake) that LEGO trains are missing out by not having the lower price entry point that used to be provided by the continuation of battery trains into the 12V era, and I’m glad to see this coming along.

My only concern is that LEGO have been very bad at the joined-up-thinking-as-a-whole-company ideal, so while the new sets may come with the reassurance from Jake and/or ambassadors that 9V will continue to be supported (though maybe more through Shop@Home than through toy shops), there’s a definite possibility that Shop@Home will at some point completely fail to keep up the supply.

Jason R