 Trains / 26409
Re: Thoughts on Spy Photos of New Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 15:00:08 GMT

--SOMEWHAY SNIPPED THROUGHOUT--

  • It appears that the battery motor has metal flanges like the 9 volt motor. Probably good; will last longer than mere plastic.

Maybe it is the old motor, or a slightly modified version. In some ways it wouldn’t surprise me if they reused the existing manufacturing line.

  • Battery box is large and comes in white and black (so far) I don’t know what that side thingie is on them, but might complicate attempts to build 8 wide trains.

This is what puts me off. At least with eight wide you can pad one plate at each side. With seven-wide (which I use for my Soviet stock) I have to add a half plate to the sides which is a challenge to say the least.

  • And speaking of the passenger train, it appears that the nose, while cool, is a 1 piece mold, thus rendering it useless for 8 widers. It’s very existence mocks the effects of James Mathis over the years, a true builder of LEGO trains. Has an agent of Playmobil secretly infiltrated the design team at TLG?

I wouldn’t expect to get a brickbuilt nose to be honest. It would add a lot to the price and would detract from the look in the eyes of most kids. We live in a slick age and bricks just aren’t going to cut it, no matter how clever. My preference is for brick builds but I’m not ten years old.

  • I might be less critical if the new roof piece (apparently 8 studs long) is like this element rather than this element. That would be cool, especially WRT the smoke window section. If not, I’ll file it into the “missed opportunity” bin, which is badly overflowing;-)

I’m doing a wait and see on this.

  • All town vehicles appear to 6 wide now, threatening to dwarf the train line. I am reminded of an 18” Stonehenge...;-)

Well no worries for you there ;) I’ve been stocking up on four-wide wheelsets from BL and the little racers sets to keep my vehicles in ‘scale’ to my trains.

   So I can only hope that TLG continues to produce the 9 volt motor. Actually, I don’t trust them in this regard and I will probably do what Ben will be doing and that is to stock up on about 50 motors in order to be ready when the death knell finally sounds. I will join the ranks of the sad clingers-on-to-the-past 12 volt fellers and become a dinosaur myself.

JOHN

I’m still waiting to find out if the motor is the same, or close enough.

Tim