 Trains / 26434
Re: Thoughts on Spy Photos of New Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 00:13:04 GMT

Tim Gould wrote:

--SOMEWHAY SNIPPED THROUGHOUT--

* It appears that the battery motor has metal flanges like the 9 volt motor.
Probably good; will last longer than mere plastic.

Maybe it is the old motor, or a slightly modified version. In some ways it
wouldn't surprise me if they reused the existing manufacturing line.

* Battery box is large and comes in white and black (so far) I don't know
what that side thingie is on them, but might complicate attempts to build 8
wide trains.

This is what puts me off. At least with eight wide you can pad one plate at each
side. With seven-wide (which I use for my Soviet stock) I have to add a half
plate to the sides which is a challenge to say the least.

* And speaking of the passenger train, it appears that the nose, while cool,
is a 1 piece mold, thus rendering it useless for 8 widers.  It's very
existence mocks the effects of James Mathis over the years, a true
{builder} of LEGO trains.  Has an agent of Playmobil secretly infiltrated
the design team at TLG?

I wouldn't expect to get a brickbuilt nose to be honest. It would add a lot to
the price and would detract from the look in the eyes of most kids. We live in a
slick age and bricks just aren't going to cut it, no matter how clever. My
preference is for brick builds but I'm not ten years old.
The nose is not really that different to that on sets like the Metroliner,
4511 passenger train and 4561 passenger train. The main difference appears
to be that instead of having a lower nose piece and an upper nose
piece/windscreen, its now a single piece (same as how there is a single
piece nose on the new airplanes)